Our School Uniform
We are very keen on school uniform at Saltdean. We feel wearing the uniform helps us with our value of ‘Belonging’, as it’s a clear signal that the children belong to the Saltdean family, and their uniform unites and unifies them. Our uniform is designed to be affordable, practical and smart, and we have a commitment to supporting all of our pupils to wear it with pride.
Our full School Uniform Policy is available to view on our Policies page.
Uniform can be purchased at our school uniform shop. You can choose to have your order delivered to your home address or the school where you can collect from. Alternatively, the children don’t have to wear a jumper, cardigan or PE shirt with a logo, but the jumpers or cardigans they do wear should be the correct shade of red, and the PE shirt should be of the correct house colour, and all of these items should be plain.
The school works closely with the Friends of Saltdean Primary (FOSP) to offer opportunities for parents to purchase good quality second-hand uniform at FOSP events during the year.
It is a good idea to wear clothes suitable for outside wear, as we are encouraged to go outside as much as possible. Appropriate footwear and outerwear would be preferable at all times, so that the children can enjoy activities outside.
On PE days only, children will be able to wear their PE kits to school and for the whole day. If you cannot get a plain t-shirt in your child’s house colour, they should wear a plain white t-shirt instead.Our School Uniform
In order to maintain a strong sense of identity and belonging within our school, we require all pupils to wear school uniform which consists of;
- Red sweatshirt, jumper or cardigan
- Red fleece (optional)
- White polo shirt / blouse OR white school shirt with a collar
- Plain black or grey smart trousers or shorts
- Plain grey skirt or tunic / pinafore dress
- Black flat sensible, safe, shoes (with no markings, lights, etc). Younger pupils are encouraged to wear secure slip on or Velcro-secured shoes until they are able to tie their laces independently
- Black flat boots (usually as a winter option)
In warmer weather, the children may wear the above uniform, or they may also wear:
- Sensible, secure sandals (no flip flops or mules)
- Gingham dresses – red and white
- Any cap/hat to protect from the sun
- Sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sunlight
For P.E. lessons, the children will need:
- A plain white T-Shirt (as this is a recent change, children may still wear a plain t-shirt in their house colour until a replacement can be provided)
- Plain black shorts for indoor P.E. (track suit bottoms are not worn indoors and they inhibit movement and sensitivity when using apparatus)
- Trainers or plimsolls (for outdoor games only; indoor P.E. takes place barefoot)
- A plain black tracksuit for outdoor games (particularly in colder weather)
- A red book bag (logo optional)
- A warm, waterproof coat in the winter and a light waterproof jacket in the summer.
All clothing and footwear must be clearly labelled with the child’s name
In Year 6 only, special Leavers Hoodies may be worn by the pupils, at the discretion of the headteacher.